Golden Krone Hotel
A vampire roguelike with a focus on dynamic lighting and stealth. Kill vampires with sunlight or become one yourself and sneak up on pesky humans.
- Stats rebalanced: defense bonus now comes from STR instead of DEX. Spell hunger is a bigger deal, but INT mitigates it. Overall, DEX should be less overpowered.
- Added a very simple class system. Choose one of four "disguises": Vagabond, Officer, Assassin, or Scholar. The last three are kind of like self imposed challenge modes where your stats are heavily skewed toward either STR, DEX, or INT.
- Fixed bug where humans didn't cast FIRESTORM in the dark, which made them weaker than intended
- Solomonari now cast GLOW uponing seeing you. Combined with the FIRESTORM change, these guys can be really deadly
- Fixed bug where Princess tries to heal an ally, but heals herself
- All torches are now lit whenever you enter the Library, even if you extinguish all of them and return. Likewise, all torches in the Mausoleum become extinguished
- Fixed bug where it was possible to die from starvation without ever getting a warning
- Separated opening gameplay information into an optional "tips" section
- Added magic descriptions back to the help
- Improvements to the map. Tons of balance tweaks.
- The map now shows lighting (including sunlight), windows, and unlit torches.
- Audio cue added when near starvation.
- Wait key (.) now works on numpad.
- Green Man has moved up a floor to prevent early deaths to sunlit Green Men
- Lapis Golem has been moved down a floor (swapped with Green Man) and weakened.
- Tweaks: slightly less XP required to level, hunger issues reduced a bit, balaurs slowed somewhat, and a few early monsters are easier.
- Each dungeon branch now has its own boss; you must beat all 4 to reach Fane. Lots of balance tweaks with the primary goal of making human mode as good as vampire mode.
- There are now 4 mandatory bosses, one in each branch: a werewolf, a trickster faery, a vampire necromancer, and a human princess.
- The effect of dexterity has been condensed. There is less marginal utility in a dex upgrade (it was previously way too powerful) and the speed difference between the fastest and slowest creatures has been reduced signficantly.
- Enemy humans are a lot tougher.
- Removed the blood golem and added 4 new enemies: Ice Golem, Sunstone Golem, Field Viper, and Sand Viper
- Added a "poisoned" status, which prevents most forms of HP recovery. Vipers and Rat Assassins cause poisoning and several potions have been added that deal with this concept.
- Added a "delusion" status. You can become afflicted through a certain potion or through one other route...
- Added a potion that reveals a floor layout.
- The order of potions was previously deterministic, but they are now shuffled at the start of a game.
- Fixed a bug with the light icon not displaying correctly.
- The Varcolac now acts like a normal human during the day (instead of always fighting you)
- "Dungeon branches" added; harder difficulty; and new monsters, spells, and potions.
- 4 branches added: Library, Mausoleum, Pharmacopoeia, and Greenhouse.
- Vampires and humans now seek out dark and light areas respectively. This makes them significantly more challenging.
- 5 new enemy types and a "boss"
- Bat - surprisingly dangerous early game enemy.
- Brawler - tough, but slow vampire that can throw you back on tile.
- Hunter - a human who carries a lantern to negate your attempts at hiding in the shadows.
- Blood Golem - continuously bleeds everywhere.
- Balaur - 3 headed dragon that can only see in darkness.
- Varcolac- ???
- 3 new spells
- Glow - gives you a fleeting magical light.
- Detect - lets you temporarily detect the presence of nearby creatures.
- Fortify - buffs your stats temporarily.
- 2 new potions that create unnatural darkness/sunlight.
- Music now plays on all floors.... too much?
- Critical strikes and more variability added to attacks.
- Nobles will drink blood off the floor or take blood from Runners.
- Added various floor types, wall decorations, and destructibles (e.g. statue).
- Items are now drawn on the map!
- Grimoires stay on floor if you decline learning their spell.
- The game should now be fully playable on keyboard (excluding examining tiles/potions). Quaffing and stat upgrades can be done with keys.
- Enemies can now walk on stairs and will follow you up them.
- Support for 3 window sizes: 1210x710 (and higher), 980x530, and 800x360
- Green Man strength capped. Different icon when they get stronger.
- Potions are no longer shuffled (it was an intentional but stupid design)
- Potion descriptions can be viewed in potion menu
- Balance tweaks: hunger is more serious, fewer equipment drops, more spell books, Fane is stronger
- Rare bug fixed where tutorial wouldn't connect to rest of level
- Various key binding fixes and small tweaks
Fixed bug that initiated end game accidentally
Fixed bug where death took an extra turn to process
Time slowed down 2X, making it easier to utilize sunlight.
Click-tile-to-describe: Describes the tile and anything on it.
Changed stained glass sprite from solid blue to clown vomit. I think people were assuming it was a regular window, but it behaves differently.
Changed "tutorial" area from 3x40 area to single 1x10 hallway. Hopefully, more info conveyed in less time with fewer people thinking the game is non-randomized.
Minor spelling mistakes fixed.
Special thanks to: Charles Scheffer, Nicole Reid, Joshua Martin, Elliot Bonneville, and Z!
Music by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com): Amazing Plan, Night of Chaos, Echoes of Time, Unseen Horrors, Controlled Chaos, Spider Eyes, Relent, and Final Count.